Twenty-five years ago and for centuries before that, dentists used composite metal forms in fillings and crowns. However, research has now shown that the use of mercury and other metals in dentistry can cause serious health problems. Mercury is toxic, and can lead to oxidative stress and nephrotoxicity, among other health problems. The use of mercury in dentistry has caused much controversy.
Not only is mercury toxic, but metal fillings themselves are also highly unstable. The metals can be affected by changes in temperature, which can in turn affect the structure of the tooth and cause it to weaken. A weakened tooth structure can lead to bacterial infection and decay. Additionally, amalgam fillings require substantial tooth structure removal, which can cause fractures and chipping.
Metal-free dentistry is becoming more and more popular, and for good reason. This type of dentistry utilizes composite fillings, which are resin made from glass or plastic. These composite fillings are not only more attractive than metal fillings, as they are tooth-colored, but they are also much safer and more beneficial to the patient’s health.
Composite fillings are stronger and more long-lasting than metal fillings, and they are more effective in restoring teeth than metal fillings. The resin acts as an adhesive that helps keep the structure of the tooth intact, and doesn’t require as much healthy tooth structure removal as amalgam fillings do. Resin fillings also cost less, and take less time to fit into the patient’s teeth. They don’t discolor the teeth, and they don’t lead to gum disease.
Additionally, metal-free dentistry is more versatile. Composite fillings can also be used to repair other tooth problems such as chipping, breaking, or wear and tear. Overall, composite fillings help keep the tooth intact, are aesthetically pleasing, and won’t cause toxic damage.